Monday, July 14, 2008

Assignments & Service Learning

Luis posted a good question - When are we going to start assigning projects for each of you? I think we should talk about this as a group. In our last meeting we talked a little about individual projects and interests. From what I remember, Sam had mentioned contacting Salem Rep. Theater or the Improv Group about doing an evening performance. I remember Renita mentioning wanting to work on the roommate agreements for Summer Bridge. I remember talking to Luis about the Service Learning component. Oh! I have news about the Service Learning Project. We came up with a great idea at a staff meeting. It was really Letitia's idea but we all loved it. We are going to be doing a kind of mini "home make-over" for a local family in Independence. Letitia knows the family and they are in great need of help. We were thinking of just helping in their yard, painting the house and other little projects that around 40 of us could do easily in a few hours. Wouldn't that be incredibly rewarding? To see the work we accomplish that day benefit a needy family! I think it's going to be an amazing experience. We were planning on doing that on Saturday morning and then having the afternoon for fun activities with the group, maybe going to Silver Falls or something. We would still go to the beach but maybe plan that for an evening activity. We used to go to the beach for a barbecue and bonfire on Thursday night.

What do you all think? What projects would you like to take on? I can't remember if we decided on a good activity the night they move-in, Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Audrey,

I think that the service learning project idea sounds great. That would be a little more worth while. Last year the beach was pretty much cleaned up so the students really didnt do anything. Maybe we could do the beach another night with a bomb fire because lots of the students last year wanted to do that and we never got the chance too.

Projects I am going to work on before we get back to meet together...

~ Updating myspace ( if anyone wants to help please let me know)

~ Working on roommate agreement

I hope that everyone's summer is going well.

~ Renita ~

Cristal said...

Hello Audrey!

I love the service learning project that is something different and yet so rewarding especially because this family is so near school they will never forget this... :)

Audrey said...

I'm glad you like the idea. We are planning on going to the beach Thursday night and doing the bon fire thing again.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I was sending a little note about the Safe Drivers defense class that all of the advisors need to take. They canceled the class that was suppose to happen this week due to not enough people signed up. But Nancy from WOU mentioned that you can visit www.motorpool.oregonstate.edu
click on van safety and take the test there. Any scores need to be forwarded to Nancy. I Just thought that you would like to know if you have not taken the test yet. I am planning to take the test by the end of this week.

I hope that everyone has a great day!

~ Renita ~